Sunday 24 November 2013

Amazon : Kindle Book Review - One Thousand Dollars A Word - Digitpedia Blog





I like to read short stories when I can. They are perfect for a spare 15 minutes. My latest find was a free ebook titled ‘One Thousand Dollars A Word’, written by an author called Lawrence Block. Here is a quick review.


I found the book in the best sellers section, in the humour category. At the time I downloaded there was no cost. However checking it at the time of writing this now the price is £1.91 (but please check the listing for the price right now as it may have changed again). Given it’s such a short book that is slightly disappointing.


This is what the book cover looks like on my tablet.


Thousand Dollars A Word ebook cover

The cover of the ‘One Thousand Dollars A Word’ book by Lawrence Block



My Review


At only 9 pages long this story is a quick read. Ideal whilst you are on your commute to work or waiting for dinner to be ready! I don’t want to put any spoilers in this post so I will keep it short and sweet.


Sometimes categorisation in the kindle book store can be a bit dodgy. So when I started reading this I was unsure whether what I was reading was going to be funny. This story is indeed a humorous tail. There are no funny lines during the telling, all the laughs come in one swoop, at the end when the last paragraph is read.


It is a simple story that anybody will be able to read. It has two characters. A writer, and an editor. The storyline follows the frustrations of the writer at the pay he receives for his work. The story is very easy to follow and the ending certainly made me chuckle.


As freebies go I always think it is good to keep your expectations low. But I did enjoy this one. It is a shame at the time of writing this the book is no longer free, if it becomes available again at no cost I certainly recommend downloading it even if you don’t normally like this sort of thing.


However if you do really like light-hearted short stories I would recommend this as a read. However the whole book is only 16 pages long, the actual story if only 9 long, so you will be done and dusted with it in no time. Whether that justifies paying even a low price is up to you. But I probably wouldn’t given it is only a ‘read once’ type of book. But regardless of price that shouldn’t take away this is a lovely written piece of work.


To look for this and other books head over to the kindle book store to get downloading. Happy reading.



. Tags:



No comments:

Post a Comment